Bear Valley

bear valleyBear Valley, home of John C. Fremont, was the heart of John C. Fremont’s Las Mariposas Grant, which was a 44,000 acre Spanish Land Grant rancho he purchased for $3,000 in 1847. Fremont made Bear Valley his headquarters for his vast mining enterprises. Located only ten miles from the town of Mariposa, this interesting town features several historical buildings and a museum. During its peak, Bear Valley had a population of 3,000.